Ways to Engage
There are many ways to stay involved once you complete a HECUA program. Whether you completed a HECUA program this year or 50 years ago, HECUA wants to stay connected with you and we hope that you will continue to engage with us. Below are some ideas for ways to engage with HECUA.
1) Sharing Stories of Hope and Connection (April 2020)
HECUA is inviting all alumni to participate in a story-sharing project.
Much has changed in our world since COVID-19 broke out. Since we transitioned to social distancing, sheltering at home, or being in a locked-down area, many of us miss being in physical proximity with one another. It is hard to be physically distant, especially in a time when being socially close is healing.
HECUA’s teaching, learning, and justice movement building are steeped in an awareness that all things are integrated and interconnected, and each piece is part of a greater whole.
We want to invite you to uplift the ways in which you experience the interconnected whole by sending us a brief video. In this video please share how your HECUA experience shapes your story of hope and connection.
If you would like to participate:
Think of a story of where you find hope and/or connection today — in our COVID-19 reality — and how your HECUA experience helps to animate your life today. Please share, who else may be involved? What makes it a story of hope, connection and possibility? How does it feed you? We hope that sharing these stories can provide you with an opportunity to reflect on a meaningful moment, as well as inspire others to have hope during this time. Videos should be short, 60-90 seconds long. If recording on a phone, please hold your phone vertically, not horizontally.
- Find a quiet space with minimal background noise.
- If recording on a smartphone, hold your camera vertically, not horizontally, as showed above.
- Click record. Begin by introducing yourself (name, preferred pronouns, HECUA program/year, where you live currently)
- Share your story. Begin with “My HECUA story of hope is….”
- When you are finished, stop recording.
- Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload to a Google Drive folder and share with email@example.com.
If you prefer not to send in a video, we also welcome photo submissions. Please include a photo from your HECUA experience, a caption, and your response to the question “where are you finding hope and connection?”
HECUA will share these stories on our social media platforms throughout the week of May 1st- 8th, during Minnesota’s Give At Home Week sponsored by GiveMN. Thank you for helping us to spread stories of hope and connection during this time.
Please send in your submissions by Monday, April 27th.
Sign up to receive the alumni e-newsletter using the form below. We’ll email you about once a month with job opportunities, alumni profiles, suggestions for readings, and ways to get involved!
After nearly 50 years, HECUA continues to encourage new ways of seeing and interacting with the world. We invite our alums to contribute to HECUA in order to make our programs more accessible to more students. To make the possibility of participating in a HECUA program a reality, we invite you to make a contribution. Click here to give now.
4) Hire and Mentor HECUA Students and Alums
Pass on your HECUA experience, and consider mentoring or supervising a current HECUA student. As a past participant you know what happens when students, faculty and community members come together to address social issues: immediate and lifelong learning, collective action for social justice, shared democracy and discovery of personal vocation. As students complete our programs, they look to others who can relate to their interests and help them take the steps necessary for future success.
5) Alumni Ambassador Program
Students who have successfully completed any HECUA program, return back to their home campus, are invited to opt-in to our Alumni Ambassador program. In a sea of study abroad choices, we want HECUA programs to stand out. We know that our greatest advocates are the students who themselves participated, and who can share their experiences with enthusiasm and authenticity. Join the Alumni Ambassador program by completing a minimum of three campus activities–listed below–to promote HECUA at your school.
- Make a 5-minute presentation in three (3) classes encouraging other students to consider a HECUA program
- Table at an event or fair on campus to promote HECUA (HECUA will provide you with materials)
- Host an info session about your HECUA experience in your major/minor department
- Give a 10-minute presentation about HECUA to a student group/club
- Meet one-on-one with a student who is interested in HECUA
- Write an article about HECUA for an existing school newspaper, journal, or campus blog
Contact your HECUA Campus Representative to find out more about the Alumni Ambassador Program.