Last updated 05/11/2021
HECUA has been vigilantly and constantly monitoring the evolving conditions of COVID-19, including tracking updates from the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, the US Department of State and other credible sources.
Click here to view COVID Guidelines for Spring 2021. This PDF document contains HECUA’s health and safety guidelines. Prospective students with questions should contact their Campus Representative.
Amid these challenging circumstances, safety and wellbeing is our top priority. HECUA staff in the US and abroad are working constantly to respond in thoughtful and responsible ways to maintain our students’ health and safety as this situation unfolds. We are carefully evaluating and monitoring this global situation for our students in the US and abroad.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
COVID-19 Guidelines & Program Updates
Click here to view current COVID Guidelines for Spring 2021. This PDF document contains HECUA’s health and safety guidelines. Prospective students with questions should contact their Campus Representative for more information.
Amid these challenging circumstances, student safety and wellbeing is our top priority. HECUA staff in the US and abroad are working constantly to respond in thoughtful and responsible ways to maintain our students’ health and safety as this situation unfolds. We are carefully evaluating and monitoring this global situation for our students in the US and abroad.
We have made the following decisions in careful consultation with university partners, and per the recommendations of the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and the US Department of State.
- HECUA staff in St. Paul, MN will continue to work remotely until further notice. This decision to work remotely will continue to be evaluated and monitored. Staff continue to work regular hours and will be available via email and phone.
- In-person programming for academic year 2021-2022: HECUA is planning to offer all programs in the US and abroad in-person for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is subject to change based on health and safety regulations and guidelines. Health and safety remains our #1 priority.
- Programs abroad: HECUA is accepting applications for all Fall 2021 programs in Ecuador, Italy and Northern Ireland. The program in New Zealand is suspended for fall 2021.
- Programs in the US: HECUA is accepting applications for all US programs for the 2021-2022 academic year, including Race in America (summer 2021)
- Programs in the US will be offered in hybrid format during the 2020-2021 academic year (including summer 2021). This format combines remote instruction with limited socially-distant, outdoor, in-person experiences. HECUA’s COVID-19 rate of transmission remains zero. There have been no cases of COVID-19 among HECUA students, faculty or staff
HECUA is designing program delivery based on the Minnesota Department of Health Guidance for Mitigating COVID-19 at Institutions of Higher Education.
During the 2020-2021 academic year we have demonstrated success that the health and safety measures implemented have been effective in mitigating cases of COVID-19. Based on this success, we are confident in our ability to provide safe, experiential learning opportunities for students for upcoming terms.
2021-2022 Academic Year:
HECUA is planning to offer all programs in the US and abroad in-person beginning Fall 2021. This is subject to change based on health and safety regulations and guidelines. We will continue to implement health and safety measures including masking and social distancing. Health and safety remains our #1 priority.
Summer 2021 (Race in America: The Twin Cities Rise Up) – This program will be delivered in hybrid format.
- US programs – will be offered in hybrid format in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. This model will combine socially-distant, in-person experiences with remote instruction. In an effort to meet the health and safety needs of each student, virtual activities will be available for students who prefer not to be physically present for in-person activities.
- International programs are suspended
Flexible Admissions Policy
HECUA is currently accepting applications for all programs in the US and abroad for summer 2021 and the 2021-2022 academic year. We are monitoring health and travel protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Off-campus study guarantee*
In an effort to offer students the greatest flexibility and certainty possible, HECUA is offering the following options. In the event that a program abroad is suspended, HECUA will guarantee your enrollment in one of our US programs, if you so choose. Applying to HECUA will guarantee your access to off-campus study that is experiential, includes an internship, and designed with student safety as the top priority.
*With approval from your institution
In the event that an international program is suspended, enrolled students also have the following options:
- Defer enrollment to a later term
- Change enrollment to a different HECUA program or term in the US or internationally
- Receive a refund of their deposit and any tuition paid in the event that HECUA suspends a program or term
HECUA’s will also make the following accommodations per our admissions policy:
- If programs are offered remotely, HECUA will eliminate room & board fees.
- If an international program must go to a partial or all-online format, HECUA would reach out to each student to see if they would like to proceed with the program, delay participation, change to another program, or withdraw.
- If a student wishes to withdraw from an international program because the program has gone partially or fully online, HECUA would refund students’ deposit and tuition. In the event of such an occurrence, the application fee will be retained by HECUA but the student may request it be applied to any other HECUA program or term.
- For students enrolled in a US program, deposit fees will be refunded until the start of the program in the event that a student is unable to participate due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In the event of such an occurrence, the application fee will be retained by HECUA but the student may request it be applied to any other HECUA program or term.
As our general policy, in the case of a program cancellation, we will refund deposits and any tuition that may have been paid.
Student Safety and Augsburg University Housing
HECUA welcomes students from outside Minnesota to study off-campus in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. HECUA maintains a partnership with Augsburg University to provide housing for students in any Minneapolis/St. Paul program. Students currently enrolled at a college/university in Minneapolis or St. Paul typically maintain residence on their campus.
Fees for housing are not included in the tuition and fees cost for a HECUA program. Students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding housing. Click here to read about Augsburg University Housing for Spring 2021.
Augsburg University’s current rate of COVID transmission is low.
If you are a prospective student and would like to request more information please contact your Campus Representative.
If you are a representative from a HECUA consortium member, other college/ university, please contact Interim Executive Director, Ariella Tilsen at email@example.com.