Last updated 10/18/2021
HECUA has been vigilantly and constantly monitoring the evolving conditions of COVID-19, including tracking updates from the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, the US Department of State and other credible sources.
Click here to view HECUA’s Fall 2021 COVID Guidelines. This PDF document contains HECUA’s health and safety guidelines.
Amid these challenging circumstances, safety and wellbeing is our top priority. HECUA staff in the US and abroad are working constantly to respond in thoughtful and responsible ways to maintain our students’ health and safety as this situation unfolds. We are carefully evaluating and monitoring this global situation for our students in the US and abroad.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Guidelines & Program Updates
the evolving restrictions which face unvaccinated international travelers.
vaccinated travelers prevent further strain on health care resources that could be used for local populations.
Click here to view HECUA’s current COVID Guidelines for Fall 2021. This PDF document contains HECUA’s health and safety guidelines. Students with questions should Student Services Manager Julie Rossate at email@example.com
Amid these challenging circumstances, student safety and wellbeing is our top priority. HECUA staff in the US and abroad are working constantly to respond in thoughtful and responsible ways to maintain our students’ health and safety as this situation unfolds. We are carefully evaluating and monitoring this global situation for our students in the US and abroad.
We have made the following decisions in careful consultation with university partners, and per the recommendations of the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and the US Department of State.
- HECUA staff in St. Paul, MN will continue to work remotely until further notice. This decision to work remotely will continue to be evaluated and monitored. Staff continue to work regular hours and will be available via email and phone.
- In-person programming for academic year 2021-2022: HECUA is planning to offer all programs in the US and abroad in-person for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is subject to change based on health and safety regulations and guidelines. Health and safety remains our #1 priority.
- Vaccination: Students participating in HECUA’s international programs must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning their study abroad program.
- Programs abroad: HECUA will offer Fall 2021 programs in Italy and Northern Ireland. Programs in New Zealand and Ecuador for fall 2021 are suspended due to COVID-19.
- Programs in the US: HECUA will run all US programs for the 2021-2022 academic year.
HECUA is designing program delivery based on the Minnesota Department of Health Guidance for Mitigating COVID-19 at Institutions of Higher Education.
2021-2022 Academic Year:
HECUA is planning to offer all programs in an in-person format in the US for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. HECUA is carefully monitoring the situation abroad to determine program viability. This is subject to change based on health and safety regulations and guidelines. We will continue to implement health and safety measures including masking and social distancing. Health and safety remains our #1 priority.
Flexible Admissions Policy
HECUA is currently accepting applications for all programs in the US and abroad for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 academic years. We are monitoring health and travel protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Off-campus study guarantee*
In an effort to offer students the greatest flexibility and certainty possible, HECUA is offering the following options. In the event that a program abroad is suspended, HECUA will guarantee your enrollment in one of our US programs, if you so choose. Applying to HECUA will guarantee your access to off-campus study that is experiential, includes an internship, and designed with student safety as the top priority.
*With approval from your institution
In the event that an international program is suspended, enrolled students also have the following options:
- Defer enrollment to a later term
- Change enrollment to a different HECUA program or term in the US or internationally
- Receive a refund of their deposit and any tuition paid in the event that HECUA suspends a program or term
HECUA’s will also make the following accommodations per our admissions policy:
- If programs are offered remotely, HECUA will eliminate room & board fees.
- If an international program must go to a partial or all-online format, HECUA would reach out to each student to see if they would like to proceed with the program, delay participation, change to another program, or withdraw.
- If a student wishes to withdraw from an international program because the program has gone partially or fully online, HECUA would refund students’ deposit and tuition. In the event of such an occurrence, the application fee will be retained by HECUA but the student may request it be applied to any other HECUA program or term.
- For students enrolled in a US program, deposit fees will be refunded until the start of the program in the event that a student is unable to participate due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In the event of such an occurrence, the application fee will be retained by HECUA but the student may request it be applied to any other HECUA program or term.
As our general policy, in the case of a program cancellation, we will refund deposits and any tuition that may have been paid.
University of St. Thomas Housing
HECUA welcomes students to live and study off-campus in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. HECUA is in partnership with the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul to provide housing for students enrolled in any of our Minneapolis/St. Paul based programs. Students currently enrolled at a college/university located in Minneapolis/St. Paul typically maintain residence at their campus.
Fees for housing are not included in the tuition and fees for a HECUA program. Click here for initial information about housing at the University of St. Thomas: https://www.
If you are a prospective student and would like to request more information please contact your Admissions Advisor.
If you are a representative from a HECUA consortium member, other college/ university, please contact Interim Executive Director, Ariella Tilsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.