Scholarship for Racial Justice – $4,000
A central component of HECUA’s mission is to equip students with skills and knowledge for building just communities and democratic societies. In U.S. society, racial discrimination and concepts of race continue to shape power and privilege, including within institutions of higher education. The Scholarship for Racial Justice is one of HECUA’s concrete commitments toward undoing institutionalized racism in higher education.
- Applicants must be students of color.
- Applicants must show a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to racial justice.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in one of HECUA’s member colleges/universities.
- Applicants must have a program application on file for a semester-long domestic or international HECUA program (HECUA’s short-term programs are not eligible).
Required materials from the student:
- Scholarship for Racial Justice Application Form. Fill in the webform at the bottom of the page.
- You will want to prepare in advance of filling in the form. You are asked for a reflective essay answering the three questions below:
1) What personal, social, or political influences in your lifetime have motivated you to work on or be interested in racial justice issues? What work have you already done or are you currently doing in your life, school, and/or community to address issues of systemic racism and intersecting issues of oppression?
2) Why/how does your passion around these issues lead you to be interested in the specific HECUA program that you are taking?
3) What do you hope to learn from your HECUA program that will deepen your ability to work to address systemic racism and intersecting issues of oppression?
- A complete program application to one of HECUA’s semester-long programs must be on file at HECUA (no need to submit a second copy).
Scholarship Application Deadlines
- Fall: April 15th
- Spring: December 1st
Please complete the form below to submit your application for the Scholarship for Racial Justice.